Skip to main content
784 S Clearwater Loop STE R, Post Falls, ID 83854 | 208-415-0655
by All Day $49 Idaho Registered Agent LLC

How to become a social worker in Idaho

Requirements for Idaho Social Work License

What are the requirements to become a social worker in Idaho?

The Idaho Board of Social Work Examiners (IBSWE) regulates social worker licensing in Idaho. To practice social work in Idaho, you must have a license from the IBSWE.

There are three levels of social worker licensure in Idaho. With more education and experience, you can move up to the next level of social work.

The three levels are:
Licensed social worker (LSW)
Licensed masters social worker (LMSW)
Licensed clinical social worker (LCSW)

All applicants for Idaho social worker licensure must:

  • Be of good moral character
  • Submit an application to the IBSWE
  • Meet educational requirements; and
  • Pass the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam specific to their license

How do I get a license to practice social work in Idaho?

You can register for the ASWB exam online.

Submit an Application for Social Work License, documents, and fees to the IBSWE.

Send your documents to:

Idaho State Board of Social worker Examiners
Bureau of Occupational Licenses
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0021

How much does the Idaho social worker license cost?

Application for social work license: $60

LSW Endorsement: $60
LSW Annual renewal: $60
LSW Exam: $230

LCSW Endorsement: $60
LCSW Annual renewal: $70
LCSW Exam: $230

LMSW Endorsement: $60
LMSW Annual renewal: $60
LMSW Exam: $260

Are there any continuing education requirements for an Idaho social worker?

All levels of social workers must complete 20 hours per year of continuing education, including 1 hour of Professional Ethics. The IBSWE does random audits so you only have to send continuing education documentation if you are being audited.

What else do I need to know about starting my Idaho social work practice?

A licensed social worker may want to form an Idaho business entity. Idaho law requires licensed social workers to get IBSWE approval to practice independently. Just fill out the Independent Level Social Work Application and submit it to the IBSWE. After that, forming your Idaho business is easy. Idaho does not require social workers to set up any particular type of entity. Each entity offers different benefits and protections for social workers. In addition to standard corporations and limited liability companies, Idaho allows social workers to form professional corporations (PC) or professional limited liability companies (PLLC). These entities allow certain licensed professionals to form a corporation or LLC for the purpose of practicing their profession. But forming one of these entities is not mandatory either.

Idaho does not require businesses to indicate the type of business they perform in the business name.


Idaho Board of Social Work Examiners

Idaho SOS