Skip to main content
784 S Clearwater Loop STE R, Post Falls, ID 83854 | 208-415-0655
by All Day $49 Idaho Registered Agent LLC

How to become a licensed HVAC contractor in Idaho

Requirements for licensing as a HVAC systems installer in Idaho

Do I need to register as a HVAC systems installer with the State of Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses?

No. HVAC technicians do not register with Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses, but instead they must be licensed with the Idaho Division of Building Safety (DBS).

What are the requirements to become a licensed HVAC Contractor in the State of Idaho?

HVAC Apprentice:
Anyone wishing to install, maintain or operate components of HVAC systems in the State of Idaho, must register with the DBS as an apprentice before beginning any training program, and they shall carry their registration certificate with them at all times. Complete and submit in person or by mail, Application for HVAC Apprentice Registration along with the application fee. The applicant’s signature must be notarized. The apprentice registration is good for a five-year period. The HVAC apprentice must be employed by a licensed HVAC contractor for four years under the supervision of a licensed HVAC journeyman, and also complete the required vocational training courses relating to mechanical engineering and the principles of thermodynamics, before being eligible for testing as an HVAC journeyman.

HVAC Journeyman:
In order to be approved for the Idaho State HVAC Journeyman license you must submit a notarized Employer’s Verification of a minimum of four years of work experience as an HVAC apprentice, making HVAC installations in compliance with the requirements of the State of Idaho. Also complete and submit the notarized Application for Examination as an HVAC Journeyman along with the application fee, a copy of a picture ID, and training course transcripts, to the Division of Building Safety in Meridian, Idaho. When the Division approves the application, an Examination Registration form will be issued, which must be completed and delivered to the testing service. The HVAC Journeyman’s exam is administered by Pearson VUE.

HVAC Contractor:
An HVAC Contractor in Idaho must provide proof to the Idaho Board of Building Safety of working for at least two years as a licensed HVAC journeyman. Submit the completed and notarized Application for Examination as an HVAC Contractor or HVAC Specialty Contractor along with the application fee, to the HVAC Bureau at the address below. When your application is approved you will be notified by the Board how to contact Pearson VUE, the testing service, to schedule an examination. You will pay the exam fee to the test administrator on the day of the exam. If you pass the exam, the HVAC Bureau will notify you of the certification fees and bonding requirements.

Find all the needed forms and information at the Idaho HVAC Bureau link below.

HVAC Bureau, Idaho Division of Building Safety Contact information:

State of Idaho
Division of Building Safety
HVAC Bureau
1090 E. Watertower St., STE 150
Meridian, ID 83642
(208) 334-6180 for license application questions.
(800) 955-3044 for HVAC permit questions
(800) 839-9239 to schedule inspections, or go to the link below.

How often must I renew my Idaho HVAC License?

All Idaho HVAC licenses and renewals shall be for a period of three years, expiring on the date of issuance. If you miss your renewal deadline, you must pay the late renewal fee. The Idaho DBS will mail you a courtesy reminder notice before your license expires.

What are the costs involved for HVAC licenses and renewals in Idaho?

Idaho Apprenticeship Registration fee – $50
Idaho HVAC Journeyman License Application fee – $35
Idaho HVAC Contractor Application fee – $35
Idaho HVAC License Renewal fee – $75
Idaho HVAC Late Renewal fee – $110
Pearson VUE examination fee – $100
All fees are nonrefundable

Does the State of Idaho HVAC Board, DBS recognize reciprocal states?


Does the Idaho DBS require continuing education for an HVAC journeyman or contractor?

There is no continuing education requirement in Idaho for HVAC at this time.


Division of Building Safety HVAC Forms