Skip to main content

How to become an architect in Idaho

Requirements for Idaho Architect License

What are the requirements to become an architect in Idaho?

Architecture is a profession that is regulated by the State of Idaho. This means that there is a state board that issues licenses to qualified individuals and regulates the profession. To practice architecture in Idaho, you must obtain a license from the Idaho Board of Architectural Examiners (IBAE). Applicants may be licensed by examination or endorsement.

Applicants for licensure by examination must complete a program at college or school of architecture and have completed or started three years of experience as an architectural intern; or attained knowledge and skill approximating that attained through graduation and 8 years experience and start or complete intern program.

After approval of the application by the board, the candidate must schedule their own exam. Licensure by examination requires that the applicant take and pass the Architect Registration Examination (ARE). Exams are scheduled through the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB).

Licensure by endorsement is available to candidates who were licensed in another state. They must also hold a NCARB Certificate.

How do I become a licensed architect in Idaho?

Candidates should submit an Application for Architect Licensure by Examination or Application for Architect Licensure by Endorsement, documents, and fees. Send your documents to:

Idaho Board of Architect Examiners
Bureau of Occupational Licenses
700 West State Street
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0063

How much does the architect license cost?

IBAE exam processing fee: $25
ARE fee: $210 per division
Endorsement application fee: $150
Annual license renewal $75

Are there any continuing education requirements for Idaho architects?

Idaho architects are required to complete eight hours of continuing education per year to maintain their license. Only submit proof of continuing education if you are audited by the IBAE.

What else do I need to know to start an Idaho architecture business?

In addition to getting your architect license, you should consider forming a business entity with the Idaho Secretary of State. Idaho does not require architects to set up any particular type of business. Each business entity offers different benefits and protections. In addition to standard corporations and limited liability companies, architects may choose to set up professional corporations (PC) or professional limited liability companies (PLLC). These entities allow licensed individuals to form a corporation or LLC for the purpose of practicing their profession. Shareholders must also be licensed as architects or in an allied field.

Idaho does not require businesses to indicate the type of service performed (for instance the word “architect” or “architecture”) in the business name.



Idaho SOS: