784 S Clearwater Loop STE R, Post Falls, ID 83854 | 208-415-0655
by All Day $49 Idaho Registered Agent LLC

How to become a licensed residential care administrator in Idaho

Requirements for Idaho Residential Care Administrator License

What are the requirements to become a residential care provider in Idaho?

Residential care licensing is administered by the Idaho Board of Examiners of Residential Care Facility Administrators (IBERCFA). A person who operates an Idaho residential care facility or a residential assisted living facility (RALF) needs to be licensed by the IBERCFA. A residential care facility is a facility or residence that provides necessities and supervision to three or more elderly, disabled, or mentally ill adults not related to the owner. Each RALF must be supervised by a licensed administrator.

Applicants for a residential care administrator license must:

  • Be at least 21 years old.
  • Be of good moral character (as verified by a criminal background check).
  • Complete a specialized course or program.
  • Pass the Idaho laws exam.
  • Pass the National Association of Long Term Care Administrators Boards (NAB) exam or the Idaho Facility Administrator competency test administered by DBA headmaster.

How do I get a license to provide residential care in Idaho?

Applicants can download the Idaho Application for Residential Care Facility Administrator License online. Fill out the application, have your signature notarized and submit it to the IBERCFA. Include the licensing fee and criminal background report.

Mail applications to:

Board of Examiners of Residential Care Facility Administrators
Bureau of Occupational Licenses
700 West State Street, PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0063

How much does the residential care license cost?

License application fee: $100
Annual renewal fee: $100

Are there any continuing education requirements for Idaho residential care providers?

A residential care facility administrator is required to complete twelve hours of continuing education each year. If a residential care facility administrator is audited by the board, then they must submit a record of the courses attended the previous year.

Does an Idaho residential care facility need a separate license?

Not only must the facility administrator be licensed, the facility itself must be licensed as well. Residential care facilities are licensed by the Department of Health and Welfare, Bureau of Facility Standards.

There are two separate applications which must be completed in order to obtain a residential care facility license. The RALF Application for Facility License in Idaho Part A requires a $500 building evaluation fee and a floor plan to be submitted. Once the application is reviewed, the applicant must send the bureau a set of their policies and procedures. After that, the bureau will schedule the building evaluation. Finally, the applicant will submit RALF Application for Facility License in Idaho Part B which must identify the licensed administrator who will be supervising the facility. This requires a copy of the administrator’s license and the administrator’s current residential address. Application B must also include the required background check; a copy of the lease, purchase agreement or warranty deed; and Articles of Organization and Certificate of Assumed Business Name from the Secretary of State (SOS).

Idaho requires each facility to have a distinctive business name, registered with the SOS. Idaho does not require businesses to indicate the type of service they perform (such as the words “residential care”) in the business name.

Submit the application, documents, and a check for fees to:

Residential Assisted Living Facilities Program
Department of Health and Welfare
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0036

Is there anything else I need to know about starting an Idaho residential care facility?

Forming a business entity, such as a corporation or LLC, with the Idaho secretary of State is important because they offer liability protection for residential care administrators or owners. Idaho does not require residential care facilities to set up any certain type of entity. Residential care administrators are not among the professionals qualified to form professional corporations or LLCs.


Idaho Board of Examiners of Residential Care Facility Administrators

Idaho SOS