Skip to main content
784 S Clearwater Loop STE R, Post Falls, ID 83854 | 208-415-0655
by All Day $49 Idaho Registered Agent LLC

How to become a licensed public works contractor in Idaho

The requirements for licensing as an Idaho Public Works Contractor

What is a “Public Works” project?

A Public Works Project is any construction project that involves public funding, whether it is Federal, state, county or municipal.

What are the requirements if I want to bid on a “Public Work” construction job in Idaho?

Any contractor or subcontractor who wishes to participate in a “Public Works Project” is required to obtain a Public Works Contractors License from the Idaho Division of Building Safety. Public Works Contractors are also required to register their business with the Idaho Secretary of State. If you need help with that process, just hire us as your registered agent and we can file your business formation documents with the Secretary of State for you.

The Public Works Contractors License Application can be requested from any of the Division’s offices in Idaho. Find their contact information at the link below. Or, you may download the application at the last link below. When the application packet is complete, it must be submitted either by mail or in person with the proper fee to the Division’s Meridian office.

The application requires detailed work history and experience descriptions. You will need to submit your Federal Taxpayer ID Number and a financial statement appropriate for the class of license for which you are applying. If your financial statement fails to meet the guidelines, you may have to include a letter from a bonding company, stating the dollar amount of the bonding capability. A letter from your bank stating your current credit available for company use may also work. There are seven classes and fees of Public Works Contractors License. Include a check for the proper amount in the application packet. Finally attach three contractor reference letters.

Will I have to pass an examination to receive an Idaho Public Works Contractor License?

After the application has been approved, the Idaho Division of Building Safety will mail you information explaining how to register for the proper examination. If you are a partnership, corporation or limited liability company, the managing officer, or a staff member may take the exam. Class D licensees take one test that is administered by the Division for free. The Class D Exam study guide will be included in the mailing from the Division.

Class C, B, A, AA, AAA and Unlimited licensees take another test that is administered by Gainesville Independent Testing Service for $75. There is a License Examination Information form that you must download at the link below and submit with your application. The study guide for this exam may be purchased from OSHA by calling (800) 997-2129. All exams must be completed with a score of 70% or higher.

What class of Idaho Public Works Contractor License will I need?

The class designations relate to the maximum dollar amount you will be authorized to bid on a project, the net worth of your company and your working capital. Class D licensees may place bids on public works jobs up to $50,000. The AAA licensee may bid up to 5,000,000. The seven license classes carry different application fees also; from $50 for Class D License, to $550 for the Unlimited Class License. All fee information is clearly stated on the public works license application form.

Where do I submit my Public Works Contractors License Application?

Public Works Contractor Licensing
1090 E. Watertower Street, STE 150
Meridian, ID 83642

Is there anything else I need to know about an Idaho Public Works Contractors License?

The State of Idaho requires that any individual that wishes to act as the construction manager of a public works project be licensed through the Division of Building Safety. The individual must have a Bachelor’s Degree in architecture, engineering or construction management and have four years experience managing construction projects. The applicant shall complete and submit an Application for License as a Construction Manager, with a $200 fee to the Public Works Contractor Licensing office in Meridian, Idaho. The application must be notarized and have three letters of reference attached. The applicant must also pass both public works contractor’s written examinations with a score of at least 70%.

Does the Idaho Secretary of State have any special requirements for contractor entities?

All Public Works Contractors must register their business with the Idaho Secretary of State. However, Idaho has no requirements regarding the structure of contractor businesses. You may choose to form a corporation, Limited Liability Company or a partnership. There are no naming requirements or restrictions for contractors either, as long as the name is available. Our company has extensive experience dealing with the Idaho Secretary of State, and if you hire us as your registered agent, we will be happy to assist you.

Are there continuing education requirements for public works contractors in Idaho?



Idaho Division of Building Safety

License Examination Information

Public Works Contractor Application link